* Increased Benefits for all Eligible Social Security Recipients
* Larger, Guaranteed Cost-of-Living-Adjustments (COLAs)
* Tax Breaks for 11 Million Social Security Recipients
* Ends the Attacks on Our Earned and Promised Benefits!
Four months ago, Seniors and Retirees learned of new legislation on Capitol Hill to fight back against the Big Spenders in Congress who are driving Social Security into insolvency.
This new legislation, H.R.1902 The Social Security 2100 Act, was designed to give Social Security beneficiaries an immediate boost by expanding benefits for all eligible recipients, while simultaneously reducing taxes on Seniors who earn less than $50,000 per year ($100,000 for joint filers.)
We are in a tough fight against a Congress that keeps spending but refuses to fix Social Security. Seniors and Retirees must support this special legislation which would give millions of us a tax break.
It calls for the wealthy to pay their fair share of taxes so current and future recipients know Social Security will be there for them well into the future — on solid ground.
And, H.R.1902 is gaining more support than any other previous proposals to expand Social Security — the Seniors Group for Social Security (SGSS) strongly endorses this bill.
Here’s why we need your help:
Passing the H.R.l902 (the Social Security 2100 Act) is one way to finally STOP THE ATTACKS on our earned and promised benefits. This new legislation is the first of its kind that calls for the expansion of benefits to current and future Seniors and Retirees!
As you know for the fifth year in a row, the 60+ million beneficiaries who depend on their Social Security income had to settle for a historically low annual Cost of Living Adjustments (COLA) . For the typical Senior or Retiree, this year’s COLA was an increase of about only $3 a month.
Meanwhile, Senior Americans saw their household budgets jump up substantially last year. .. despite our Social Security benefits NOT keeping pace with inflation. Housing UP! Healthcare UP! Groceries UP! Energy UP! Prescriptions UP!
But passing the Social Security 2100 Act would be a game changer.
In fact, if it were passed, Seniors and Retirees would see:
- An across the board 2% increase for all Social Security beneficiaries beginning in 2018; it is estimated that the average beneficiary would be getting $300 more per year.
- An improvement in the annual COLA formula to better reflect the costs incurred by Seniors and Retirees through adopting a [consumer price index for the elderly or CPI-E] formula;
- A new Social Security minimum benefit that is set 25% above the poverty line and indexed to wages to ensure that the minimum benefit does not fall behind;
- Tax breaks for over 11 million Social Security beneficiaries; NO MORE taxing of our benefits!
- Millionaires and Billionaires paying the same rate as everyone else by applying the payroll tax to wages above $400,000 (currently payroll taxes are not collected on wages over $127,200)
What Seniors and Retirees are telling Congress (with this bill) is this, “Keep your hands off my Social Security benefits!”
Until now, the so-called “experts” on Capitol Hill have told us that Social Security is going bankrupt and the only way to save it is by cutting benefits, raising the retirement age, and by means-testing (which is an under-handed, political way to deny Social Security benefits).
Congress never looks at their out-of-control spending as harming Social Security!
Social Security is not a “Welfare” program – in fact, Americans had to pay special taxes during our working years to fund our retirement and survivor benefits … Seniors and Retirees need to have peace of mind and to know our benefits will be there for us.
President Trump said repeatedly he didn’t want to cut Social Security. In fact, he said it was his intention to leave Social Security as it is. But some predict that in 10-12 years Social Security will be unable to pay out the full benefits to Seniors and Retirees unless something is done to shore up the program.
Not knowing what will happen to Social Security is something that keeps me up at night, and I’m sure you have been anxious as to what will likely happen to our retirement income, especially since Congress just short-changed us and found a way to make our 2017 COLA a miserable 0.3% this year – only about $3 per month!
I’m worried that if nothing is done to improve Social Security, then it will only be a matter of time before we will have to accept smaller benefit checks.
Your support is needed as we mount this campaign to PASS THE SOCIAL SECURITY 2100 ACT and to oppose any Social Security reforms that will cut our benefits. And there are many competing “reform” proposals in Congress to cut benefits.
Politicians would never describe one of their “reform” plans as a Social Security benefit cut. They wouldn’t dare say that! They know as soon as they mention “benefit cuts” they will lose the support of a large and powerful voting block of Seniors and Retirees.
But the “reform” proposals being discussed are exactly that –benefit cuts, like these:
- Raising the full Retirement Age from 67 to 69. Those under 62 today are targeted. This reform keeps Seniors from their benefits for an additional 2 years.
- Using the Chain-Weighted CPI (instead of the CPI-E) to determine our Social Security COLAs for 2018. This is the worst possible method for determining the proper cost of living adjustment. This reform keeps Seniors from getting their full and correct benefit amount.
- NO COLAs for Seniors and Retirees if their adjusted gross income exceeds $85,000 (single) or $170,000 (joint).
If Seniors don’t do anything, if our voices aren’t heard, if Social Security “reforms” get passed in 2017 – the Social Security Board of Trustees has said Seniors would be subjected to an across the board 21% decrease in our monthly Social Security checks.
Senior Citizens must act NOW and let Congress know that Seniors and Retirees have had enough – health care costs are up 5.1%; medicines are up 4.5%; housing costs are on the rise, groceries are more expensive … we cannot tolerate another hit to our income.
We cannot afford to wait and see what happens … especially when the critical measures being discussed could have life-long, devastating effects on our income.
Senior Citizens and Retirees are a potent force when we raise our voices. It is too late for us to change the pathetic 2017 COLA we just got – as you know, it was about $3 per benefit check [this is how Washington cuts our benefits] but we have an historic opportunity to influence our Social Security benefits for years to come.